Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Wikicities is a macro-wiki managed by Wikia. It is a collection of wikis run by various communities, all of which run on MediaWiki. It could be described as a hosting service for wiki-projects, each called a "Wikicity".
Apart from a few common-sense restrictions, to preclude the uploading of obscene or illegal material, anyone can found a Wikicity in any language. To gain approval for the creation of a Wikicity, would-be founders are asked to formulate a mission statement specifying the objectives of the project. The project announced the creation of its one hundredth wiki on February 3 2005 . Wikicities provides both technical and social support for all aspects of running a wiki community.
Wikicities makes all content available under a free content licence, specifically the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL). This means the information can be reused, not only in other Wikicities, but by anyone within the terms of the licence, including Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Wikicities is hosted on Linux servers using squid cache acceleration.
List of Wikicities
A list of all existing Wikicities can be found at Wikicities:List of Wikicities.
The five most visited Wikicities, as of 31 January 2005 , were:
- Doom, for fans of the Doom series of computer games.
- WikiMac, an encyclopedia in 5 languages pertaining to the Apple Macintosh computer.
- Creatures, about Creatures, the artificial life computer program series.
- Medicine, medical-related topics in Spanish.
- Peace, discussion and content pertaining to peace and mysticism and time travel
- Wikicities (main website)
- From Wikipedia's Creator, A New Site for Anyone, Anything - The Wall Street Journal article.
- Global Villages Convene in wiki town halls - the St Petersburg Times article
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details