Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
In 1625 the Manchu leader Nurhaci moved his capital to Shenyang. It was renamed to Mukden (in Chinese, 盛京) in 1634. Shenyang remained the capital of the Qing Dynasty until the relocation to Beijing in 1644.
Since 1657 Shenyang had been called Fengtianfu (奉天府) until it was changed back to its old name Shenyang in 1914.
During the Manchukuo era (1932-1945) the city was called Fengtian again.
Districts and zones
- Dadong District (大东区 Dàdōng Qū) (northeast of downtown)
- Dongling (Meaning East Grave, burial site of Nurhaci)
- Heping District (和平区 Hépíng Qū) (downtown)
- Huanggu (directly north of downtown)
- Shenhe District (沈河区 Shĕnhé Qū) (east of downtown)
- Sujiatun (south)
- Farming and mining.
- Tiexi District (铁西区 Tǐexī Qū) (west side)
- Xinchengzi (20 miles north of downtown)
Heping District (和平区 Hépíng Qū) (downtown)
The downtown Heping district has all manner of businesses that are brightly lit by neon at night.
At the center of the district, is the famous Zhongshan Square, featuring one of China's largest statues of Chairman Mao. To this day, flowers are still placed around a large statue of Chairman Mao around the holidays.
Heping district also contains the Liaoning Provincial Museum .
Dadong District (大东区 Dàdōng Qū) (northeast of downtown)
Dadong District is the home of the 9.18 Museum and the Northern Pagoda. It is the largest district of the urban Shenyang city area.
There are several shopping districts in Shenyang.
One of the districts features western-style shopping and dining, including Walmart, a Pizza Hut (that is very different from those located in America, because it has an upscale interior design and a large staff), consumer electronics stores, and a number of large, multi-story department stores selling products from around the world.
Another district features a large multi-story center with hundreds of mini or boutique stores that open very early in the morning and close in the early afternoon.
Huanggu district (directly north of downtown)
Huanggu district is the site of the large, historical tomb of Zhao Ling (of the Qing Dynasty), called Beiling park . The park covers an area of 3,300,000 sq. meters, and is serviced by trams for visitors who do not wish to (or cannot) traverse the length of the park.
Huanggu district also hosts the Liaoning Mansion Hotel.
Shenhe District (沈河区 Shĕnhé Qū) (east of downtown)
Home of Imperial Palace, Zhang Zuolin's former home and headquarter, Shengjing Ancient Cultural Street, and Gloria Plaza.
Tiexi District (铁西区 Tǐexī Qū) (west side)
This mixed-use district contains large blocks of residential complexes, as well as strips of small to medium-sized shopping. It recently featured in a documentary called West of the Tracks (the literal meaning of Tiexi) by the young filmmaker Wang Bing .
Xinchengzi (20 miles north of downtown)
Home of the Mount Qipanshan Scenic Spot .
Shenyang is served by air, rail, and an extensive network of streets and expressways, with bus service throughout the city.
The city is also served by the Shenyang Taoxian International Airport (airport code SHE), as well as by several smaller, regional airports.
Although Shenyang still uses coal to generate power during its cold winters, the government is making numerous efforts to improve the environment of the city, from shutting down polluting industrial sites, to switching to cleaner power generation sources such as LPG, natural gas, and even thermal power.
Famous people born in Shenyang
Major companies with offices in Shenyang
- Alcatel Shenyang Telecom (Telecommunications)
- BASF Vitamin Co., Ltd (Vitamins)
- Bridgestone Tire (Tires)
- Coca-Cola Beverage Co.
- Matsushita Battery (Lead Accumulators)
- Neusoft Group Ltd. (IT Services and Software Development) (6000 employees)
- Shenyang Aerospace Mitsubishi (Auto engines)
- Shenyang Kodenshi Co., Ltd (Semi-conductors)
- Shenyang President Enterprise (Noodles and food stuffs)
- Shenyang Tingyi Intl Food (Noodles and food stuffs)
- Shenyang Weiyong Precision (precision motors and machinery)
- Shenyang Xike Silica Ltd. (Silica and light fiber)
- SY Yamanouchi Pharmaceutical (Medicines)
Many of these businesses are operated within the SETDZ (Shenyang Economic and Technological Development Zone), a special zone overseen by the State Council of China, with the goal of stimulating foreign investment in partnerships that manufacture and market in China.
The local soccer team is the Shenyang Ginde , in the Chinese Super League.
Shenyang has many schools, both public and private. There are a number of privately-operated schools that teach English as a second language (ESL), for a fee.
Colleges and universities
- Northeastern University, China
- Liaoning University
- China Medical University
- Shenyang Medical College
- Shenyang University
- Shenyang Architectural and civil Engineering University
- Shenyang Polytechnic University
- Shenyang Pharmaceutical University
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details