Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Salt Lake Temple
The Salt Lake Temple is the fourth completed (of more than 100) and best-known temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Located in Salt Lake City, Utah, the temple site was dedicated on February 14, 1853. Groundbreaking ceremonies were presided by Brigham Young, the church's president and prophet at the time, who laid the cornerstone; construction officially began on April 6 of that year. Oxen transported granite from Little Cottonwood Canyon twenty miles southeast of the temple site. When construction was finally completed, LDS President Wilford Woodruff dedicated the temple on April 6, 1893, after exactly forty years. The Salt Lake Temple is the centerpiece of the 10 acre (40,000 m²) Temple Square in Salt Lake City, Utah. As this temple is located at church headquarters and because of its historical significance, it is patronized much by worthy Latter-day Saints and is the site where the church's prophet and apostles meet.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details