Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
At the age of sixteen years he left home to learn the engineering profession. For a number of years he was Chief Engineer on one of the large passenger steamers of the Cunard Line plying between America and Europe. From 1895 to 1901, he was a consulting engineer in New York City.
Max Heindel moved to Los Angeles, California, in 1903. He became interested in the study of metaphysics and joined the Theosophical Society of Los Angeles, of which he was vice-president in 1904 and 1905.
In 1907 he travelled to Germany with his friend Dr. Alma Von Brandis to hear a cycle of lectures by Rudolf Steiner. During his stay at Germany, it is reported that Heindel was visited by a highly evolved Spiritual being (in its vital body) later identified as an Elder Brother of the Rosicrucian Order (which, according to Max Heindel, is an Order in the spiritual worlds, having no direct connection to physical organizations which intitle themselves by this name). This Elder Brother put Heindel to a test to determine his worthiness to be messenger of the Western Wisdom Teachings. Afterwards he was given instruction how to reach the Temple of the Rose Cross, near the German/Bohemian border, and at this Temple Max Heindel was in direct communication with and under the personal instructions of the Elder Brothers of the Rose Cross.
Heindel returned to America in the spring of 1909 where he at once started to formulate the Rosicrucian teachings which he had received from the Elder Brothers, published as a book entitled The Rosicrucian Cosmo-Conception: it is a work of mystical and occult science (Esoteric Christianity). It contains a comprehensive outline of the evolutionary processes of man and the universe, correlating science with religion.
From 1909 to 1919, suffering a severe heart condition and with an adverse financial situation, Max Heindel was able to perform a valuable work for the Brothers of the Rose Cross: he left a legacy of books, lectures and lessons which are translated into many languages all over the world; founded the The Rosicrucian Fellowship in 1909/11 at Oceanside (California); published the Christian Esoteric magazine Rays from the Rose Cross in 1913 (still edited nowadays) and launched the Fellowship's Spiritual Healing service. Following the Fellowship's foundation, he started, with the aid of his wife Augusta Foss Heindel, the task of distributing and disseminating the Rosicrucian Teachings: the various books were translated and printed in foreign languages, lessons were sent out by correspondence and groups formed in many of the larger cities.
He passed into the Great Beyond on January 6th, 1919 at Oceanside, California. It is said his body dropped slowly as if lovinghands were holding him and laying him down gently; as he looked up, smiling into Mrs. Heindel face, he spoke his last words: "I am all right dear".
Max Heindel's work for the Rosicrucian Order is continued, since that time, through students of the Rosicrucian Philosophy around the world who assist, as Invisible Helpers, the Elder Brothers to carry out the Spiritual Healing work.
Max Heindel's writings
- The Rosicrucian Cosmo-Conception, first edition in 1909 (ISBN 0-911274-34-0) www
- The Rosicrucian Christianity Lectures (ISBN 0-911274-84-7) www
- The Rosicrucian Philosophy in Questions and Answers - Volume I (ISBN 0-9112-74-89-8) www
- The Rosicrucian Philosophy in Questions and Answers - Volume II (ISBN 0-911274-90-1) www
- The Rosicrucian Mysteries (ISBN 0-911274-86-3) www
- Letters to Students (ISBN 0-911274-09-X) www
- Gleanings of a Mystic (ISBN 0-911274-87-1) www
- Mysteries of the Great Operas (ISBN 0-911274-88-X) www
- Teachings of an Initiate (ISBN 0-911274-19-7) www
- Ancient and Modern Initiation (ISBN 0-911274-82-0) www
- The Web of Destiny (ISBN 0-911274-17-0) www
- Freemasonry and Catholicism (ISBN 0-911274-04-9) www
- The Vital Body (ISBN 0911274-16-2) www
- The Desire Body (ISBN 0-911274-03-0) www
- The Rosicrucian Principles of Child Training (ISBN 0-911274-62-6) www
- How Shall We Know Christ at His Coming? (ISBN 0-911274-64-2) www
- The Mystical Interpretation of Christmas (ISBN 0-911274-65-0) www
- The Mystical Interpretation of Easter (ISBN 0-911274-69-3) www
- Nature Spirits and Nature Forces (ISBN 0-911274-70-7) www
- The Message of the Stars (ISBN 0-911274-18-9) www
- Simplified Scientific Astrology (ISBN 0-911274-01-4) www
- Astro-Diagnosis - A Guide to Healing (ISBN 0-911274-06-5) www
- Occult Principles of Health and Healing (ISBN 0-911274-81-2) www
- Rosicrucian Fellowship
- Age of Aquarius - Astrology
- Bible and reincarnation - Reincarnation
- Christian Rosenkreuz - Rosicrucian
- Esoteric Christianity
- Esotericism - Mysticism - Occultism
- List of occultists - List of spirituality-related topics
- Western mystery tradition
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details