Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Justin Randall Timberlake (born January 31, 1981 in Memphis, Tennessee) is an American singer who came to fame as a vocalist in the pop band *NSYNC. Timberlake has become notorious for baring the breast of Janet Jackson during the 2004 Superbowl halftime show.
Justin Timberlake's career began after a childhood stint on the American television talent show Star Search, when he became a cast member of The New Mickey Mouse Club teenage variety show. His co-stars on the show included fellow pop singers Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera, as well as *NSYNC bandmate Joshua Chasez.
Timberlake began dating Britney Spears after *NSYNC took off and Spears began her pop career. Both were wildly popular teen idols , and their relationship and breakup made headlines. Spears made more headlines when she disclosed the pair had been intimate; she had once publicly vowed she would "save herself" for marriage.
In late 2002, Timberlake released his debut solo album, Justified, to critical acclaim and great reviews. It debuted at #2 on the Billboard Top 200 album chart, and has sold over 3 million copies in the US alone and over 7 million copies worldwide.
Timberlake supported the album by touring with Christina Aguilera on the Stripped tour, which ran throughout 2003. Like Spears and Aguilera, Timberlake has traded the squeaky-clean image created by his handlers for a far-more raunchy persona, as typified by his staged groping of Kylie Minogue's backside as they performed a duet later that year.
In January 2004, during the halftime show of Super Bowl XXXVIII, Timberlake performed with Janet Jackson before an audience of over 100 million. In the course of the performance, he tore off a part of her costume, baring her right breast. CBS, the NFL and MTV, which produced the halftime show, denied all responsibility under a hailstorm of controversy, calling the incident a "wardrobe malfunction". Jackson released a taped apology, using the "wardrobe malfunction" phrase. Timberlake issued a scripted apology of his own while accepting his first of two Grammy Awards in early 2004 (one for Best Pop Vocal Album for Justified, and the other for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance for "Cry Me a River"). The FCC announced an investigation.
- Justified (2002) #2 US, US Sales: 3.5+ Million / 3x Platinum (WW: 7+), #1 UK
- "Like I Love You" (2002) #11 US, #2 UK (from Justified)
- "Cry Me a River" (2003) #3 US, #2 UK (from Justified)
- "Work It" (Nelly featuring Justin Timberlake) (2003) #7 UK
- "Rock Your Body" (2003) #5 US, #46 UK (import), #2 UK (official) (from Justified)
- "Senorita" (2003) #27 US, #13 UK (from Justified)
- "Work It (Reinvention)" (2004) (Nelly featuring Justin Timberlake) #68 US
- "Signs" (Snoop Dogg featuring Charlie Wilson and Justin Timberlake) (2005) #46 US
- "Where Is The Love" (2003) (Black Eyed Peas Featuring Justin Timberlake) #8 US, #1 UK
- "I'm Lovin' It" (2003) # US, # UK (from "Justified")
- 2005: Edison
- 2005: Alpha Dog
- 2003: Bad Boys 2 (Song: "Love Don't Love Me")
- 2002: Crossroads (Song: "Bye Bye Bye" with *NSYNC)
- 2001: Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (Song: "P.O.P." with *NSYNC)
- 2000: model behavior
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details