Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
June begins (astrologically) with the sun in the sign of Gemini and ends in the sign of Cancer. Astronomically speaking, the sun begins in the constellation of Taurus and ends in the constellation of Gemini.
Events in June
- The first Monday in June is one of the public holidays in the Republic of Ireland; in the Irish Calendar the month is called Meitheamh and is the middle month of the Summer season.
- The solstice called the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere occurs around June 21. In the pagan wheel of the year the summer solstice is the time of Litha and the winter solstice is that of Yule.
- Midsummer is celebrated in Sweden on the third Friday in June.
- Father's Day is celebrated in Belgium on the second Sunday in June and in the United States, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and Canada on the third Sunday in June.
- Gay pride celebrations in many countries in honor of the Stonewall riots
- The majority of the Portland Rose Festival occurs
- No other month begins on the same day of the week as June.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details