Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Jerusalem's Old City Walls
Jerusalem's Old City Walls encompass an area of barely 1 kmē. They were built in the 16th century (1535-1538) by the Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent of the Ottoman Turks after they had been razed in 1244. Those are the walls mentioned when talking about Jerusalem's walls, but there have been many different sets of walls surrounding Jerusalem.
Before King David's conquest of Jerusalem in the 10th century BC the city was known as Jebus and the home of the Jebusites. The Bible describes the city as heavily fortified with a strong city wall but not much is known about it.
The current walls of the Old City do not include the original area conquered by King David. This area, which is now called The City of David , is located to south east of the current Old City Outside The Dung Gate .
External Links & References
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details