Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Hayes railway station
Hayes railway station is the terminus of Hayes branch of the Mid-Kent commuter line from Charing Cross and Cannon Street, in Hayes, Bromley. The station entrance is on Station Approach, some distance from the traditional centre of Hayes Village but now the main local parade.
The Mid-Kent line was opened on 1 January 1857 by the South Eastern and Chatham Railway. The Hayes extension arrived from Elmers End was built by the West Wickham & Hayes Railway, but was sold to the South Eastern Railway on the opening day, 29 May 1882.
The early single-storey, clapboard building was enough for the initial demand in an area of London that saw urbanisation relatively late. Usage remained low until electrification in 1925. As suburban development gained pace, the station was modernised in 1933 with shops being incorporated into the entrance. In 1940, it was badly damaged by a bomb and subsequently repaired in 1956.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details