Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Forest Lawn - Hollywood Hills Cemetery
Forest Lawn - Hollywood Hills Cemetery is located at 6300 Forest Lawn Drive in Los Angeles, California, on the south edge of the San Fernando Valley by Burbank (and on the north side of the Santa Monica Mountains from Hollywood). It is a secondary location of the original Forest Lawn in Glendale.
The Forest Lawn Memorial Parks are recognized and serve as a cultural institution in the Los Angeles regional area. Forest Lawn - Hollywood Hills is a park dedicated to the preservation of American history, and hosts high-profile events such as an annual Veteran's Day ceremony attended by dignitaries and V.I.P.s. The park features such notable sights as:
- The Court Of Liberty, which features statues of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson and the Birth of Liberty Mosaic.
- The Birth Of Liberty Mosaic, America's largest historical mosaic at 162 feet long and 28 feet high, contains more than ten million pieces of Venetian glass and depicts twenty-five famous scenes from early America, 1619-1787.
- Old North Church, a precise replica of Boston's historic church, immortalized by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in his famous poem Paul Revere's Ride. The historical rooms contain rare documents and mementos of the colonial period.
- The Hall Of Liberty American History Museum features a precise duplication of the Liberty Bell, and other exhibits. The museum includes a 1,200 seat auditorium.
- Monument To Washington, a marble and bronze tribute to America's 1st president, created by sculptor Thomas Ball. Four of Washington's generals are also honored in the memorial.
- The Lincoln Terrace features a lifelike 16-foot bronze statue of the 16th president by Augustus St. Gaudens, flanked by a panoramic mosaic depicting key scenes from Lincoln's eventful life.
- The Plaza of Mexican Heritage features sculpture and artifacts from the early civilizations of what is now Mexico - from the Olmecs to the Aztecs.
Forest Lawn (Glendale) was founded in 1917 by Dr. Hubert Eaton , a firm believer in a joyous life after death, who was convinced that most cemeteries were "unsightly, depressing stoneyards," and pledged to create one that would reflect his optimistic beliefs, "as unlike other cemeteries as sunshine is unlike darkness." He envisioned Forest Lawn to be "a great park devoid of misshapen monuments and other signs of earthly death, but filled with towering trees, sweeping lawns, splashing fountains, beautiful statuary, and...memorial architecture..."
Among those interred or entombed in the cemetery are a number of important personalities, famous persons, including men and women from the entertainment industry, et cetera, and their relatives.
(Note this is a partial list.)
Use the following alphabetical links to find someone.
- Steve Allen, comedian, writer
- Morey Amsterdam, comedian
- Carl David Anderson, Nobel-winning scientist
- Gene Autry, singing cowboy actor, entrepreneur
- Bonny Lee Bakley, murdered wife of actor Robert Blake
- Lucille Ball, actress, comedienne
- Clyde Beatty , circus owner
- Ralph Bellamy, actor
- Albert "Cubby" Broccoli, movie producer of the James Bond series
- Edgar Buchanan, actor
- Godfrey Cambridge , comedian, actor
- Roy Campanella, Hall of Fame baseball player
- Bill Cody, Jr. , actor
- William Conrad, actor
- Bert Convy, television host
- Willie Crawford Major League Baseball player
- Gary Crosby, singer, actor
- Scatman Crothers, actor, singer, dancer and musician
- Anthony Eisley, actor
- Andy Gibb, singer
- Hard Boiled Haggerty , professional wrestler, actor; aka H.B. Haggerty
- Gabby Hayes, actor
- Horace Heidt , band leader
- Rick James, singer
- Bob Kane, cartoonist, creator of Batman comics character
- Buster Keaton, comedic actor
- Ernie Kovacs, actor, comedian
- Dorothy Lamour, actress
- Fritz Lang, movie director
- Charles Laughton, actor
- Stan Laurel, comedic actor, half of the famous comedy team "Laurel & Hardy."
- George Liberace, actor/musician, older brother of Liberace
- Liberace, pianist
- Julie London, actress/singer
- Donald O'Connor, singer, actor
- Freddie Prinze, actor
- Sabu , actor
- Telly Savalas, actor, buried with a lollypop
- Roberta Sherwood , singer, actress
- Jack Soo , actor, Detective Nick on TV's Barney Miller
- Rod Steiger, actor
- McLean Stevenson, actor
- Lee Van Cleef, actor
- Jack Webb, actor, Sergeant Joe Friday on TV's Dragnet
- Jess Willard, world heavyweight boxing champion
- Grace Yearsley , actress, wife of Ralph Yearsley
- Ralph Yearsley , actor
- Paul Zastupnevich , costume designer
- Frances Zucco , actress, daughter of George Zucco
- George Zucco , actor
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details